Home > About Us > Our School > Our History

Our History

        

Yuying Secondary School was founded by the Hainanese Community in 1910 as a Chinese-medium high school. At that time, it was located at Prinsep Street and named Yock Eng High School. The school began with an enrolment of only 15 students. However, it soon outgrew its premises as the enrolment continued to climb. In 1939, the School Management Board initiated a campaign to raise funds for new premises.

In 1941, the school moved to a new campus at 65 Tanjong Katong Road. The school programme was disrupted by the outbreak of World War II. During the War, the school premises were occupied by the Japanese armed forces. The school reopened its doors to pupils in July 1946 with an enrolment of 600. The post-war years were a period of rapid growth for the school, in terms of enrolment and recognition. In 1958, enrolment stood at a peak of 2400 pupils. During the 1960s and 70s, there was a shift towards English-medium education vis a vis Chinese-medium education. Thus, the school admitted its first batch of English-stream students in 1981. In 1988, the last batch of Chinese stream students graduated.

On 9 Dec 1985, the school relocated to its present premises at 47 Hougang Ave 1. The school was renamed Yuying Secondary School and was officially opened on 13 Aug 1987.

Today, Yuying continues as a Government-Aided secondary school. The School Management Committee and School Alumni Association (founded in 1994) continue to actively support the school programme.


启航 别琼崖莅星洲 育人兴邦不辍 
扬帆 乘长风济瀚海 英才矢志报国
--育英中学历史



育英中学是新加坡一所历史悠久的学府,她历经风霜,走过战火,见证历史。

创校之初奠定基石

1910年,七位热心教育的琼籍侨领王绍经、黄可辉、云昌朗、何玉麟、卢熙耀、陈开国、符昌邠, 创办 “琼崖育英学堂”,为海南子弟提供受教育机会。 “育英”寓意培育英才。1911年,学校仅有15名学生,改校名为“育英学校”。育英创校初期规模不大,仅有位于布连拾街(俗称六马路)的三间校舍。1919年,校方筹款增建四间课室。


二、三十年代稳步发展
1925年,学校声望日高,校方增设英文、体育、数学、文学与美术科目,及考试处、财务处和学生福利处。至三十年代初期,育英学生人数约340人,学生多为海南移民的子女。三十年代末,育英位于六马路校址地契届满。校方屡向殖民地政府请求延长期限未获批准,因此决定另觅新址兴建校舍。1938年,校方购得丹戎加东一地段兴建新校舍。1939年,迁建校舍委员会发起劝捐活动,育英师生走向街头卖花筹款。筹款活动得到新马两地琼籍商人积极响应。


四十年代逆境求
1940年,育英新校舍开始动工。1941年12月,日军南侵,新校舍被殖民地政府征用,当时距原定新校舍落成开幕日仅三天。1942年2月,日军占领新加坡,育英校舍随之被日军占用。1945年,日军投降,育英校舍被盟军充作兵营。校方多次交涉,终于在日军投降半年后收回校舍。当时校舍内空无一物,文件档案荡然无存。临时董事会凭着坚韧不拔的精神,筹得复校基金。1946年7月,育英重新开课,11月28日,举行新校舍落成开幕仪式。育英校园恢复蓬勃朝气,琼州会馆及琼州天后宫亦恢复对学校的支持。此时,学校增设中学部,育英学校也改名为育英中学 Yock Eng High School。


五、六十年代顺应变革
1956年,育英增设高中部,成为拥有小学、初中和高中完整教育体系的华校。1957年起,学校接受政府津贴,正式成为政府辅助学校。1958年,学生人数达2400余人,创历史最高。六十年代,社会对工艺技术及商业教育的需求增加,英语逐渐成为社会主要媒介语,华校开始走向末落。育英顺应时代变革,启动科学馆发展计划。1965年,学校举行建校55周年校庆暨科学馆开幕仪式。


七、八、九十年代发展历程
1976年,学校计划分开中学部和小学部。1981年,育英面对收生不足问题,教育部建议学校搬迁至人口稠密的后港区求得生存。1983年,学校因招生不足停办小学,在籍小学生并入光华学校。1984年,育英接受教育部迁校建议,在后港兴建新校舍。1985年,新校舍落成,学校名称由Yock Eng High School改为Yuying Secondary School。1987年8月13日,学校举行新校舍开幕仪式。1994年,育英开始实行单班制。同年,育英校友会正式注册。


新纪元 新育英
2000年2月,育英家长会成立。2002年及2003年,育英在学术和非学术领域表现出色,获颁快捷源流学术成绩增值奖。2005年起学校获颁制服团体持恒成就奖。2007年,育英历史走廊落成。 2008年,成功举办育英美展。2009年,获颁美育及体育持恒成就奖。7月,育英室内体育馆竣工。


2010年3月13日,育英大家庭千余人以接力方式,从丹戎加东路旧校址步行至后港1道现校址。同一天,学校也主办美食嘉年华。7月30日, 学校则于滨海艺术中心举行育英创校百年文娱晚会。11月26日,举行创校100周年纪念暨总统挑战慈善基金联欢晚宴,国家发展部部长马宝山为晚宴主宾。


2011年,学校荣获卓越合作伙伴奖。2012年,育美中心开幕,学校也在“卓越学校模式”校外评估中跃升至第三级。2014年,获教育部拨款,成为首批同时推出“应用学习”和“生活教育”强项的学校之一。2015年育英董事会与教育部签署新契约,让学校在新的学校管理模式下,在国有土地上,继续管理学校三十年。


育英中学走过一个多世纪的光辉岁月,始终秉持“以人为本”的办学理念,为国家培育英才。育英105周年校庆,是学校继往开来的里程碑,育英大家庭将继续携手合作,铸造辉煌。